Anser Law Professional Corporation
Search by Case:
Murder suspect was witness in another slaying

Sub Category:

Date: August 19, 2008

Status: completed



Murder suspect was witness in another slaying
By: Louie Rosella
August 19, 2008 02:58 PM - A man fatally wounded Friday night outside his Rathburn Rd. W. apartment died from a single stab wound to the abdomen, an autopsy revealed.
Peel Regional Police released the post-mortem results today in Mississauga's latest murder, the city's 10th of the year.
Farhan Omar, 22, died early Saturday at a Toronto hospital after he was stabbed in a playground beside his Erindale Terrace apartment building, near Rathburn and Creditview Rds. He had been embroiled in an argument with a friend.
Police have arrested a man in connection with the case.
The News has learned that the man in custody was also being sought by Peel homicide investigators in relation to a July 2005 murder at the same apartment building.
A source close to the case said the man was wanted for questioning in the murder of Lamar Philip, 20, of Cooksville, but police were not able to find him. Police weren't looking at him as a suspect, the source said, but believed he had knowledge of the killing and was in the apartment complex on the day of the murder.
Etienne Martin, 23, was found guilty this past spring of second-degree murder in the stabbing death of Philip, who was killed when a drug deal turned violent.
Peel Cst. J.P. Valade say the two murders aren't connected.
Police say Omar was not involved in Philip's slaying.
Meanwhile, Omar's relatives say he had his problems with the law, but didn't deserve his fate.
Abdinoor Omar, 40, said his brother, one of 16 siblings born in Somalia, had earned top marks in school after coming to Canada in 1995.
"But things went wrong in high school. He got involved with the wrong crowd."
Abdinoor said his brother never took drugs or got involved in gang activity, but he drank alcohol, against Muslim law, which upset his family.
He was charged with impaired driving last year, paid a fine and was to have had his licence reinstated next month.
"He had no enemies, whatsoever," Abdinoor said.
After Omar was stabbed, his older brother said, he went inside to change his bloody clothes. As he was returning to the fray, he collapsed.
Abdinoor said his brother was with a group of friends about 5:30 p.m. when an argument escalated into a full-blown fight. He said a man went into the building, grabbed a knife from an apartment, and plunged it into Farhan's back.
Tristan Landriault, 20, of Brampton, is charged with second-degree murder.
He was remanded in custody during a weekend appearance in Brampton court.